“Diabetics – type 2” Dr.Choy said looking at me seriously worried. Yes i have heard it before, but it never sounded so very importantly threatening like it does right now. I sank in my chair, my heart skipped a beat and then I remembered the exact reason why I stopped going doctors. I was worn about it couple of times during my doctor visits, but never really paid much attention to it.
But today was different : “Diabetics type 2” Now, this is not fair at all “type 2” that’s not even my fault, I didn’t cause it! That would be all thanks to great genetics gift from my grandma & uncle- Surprise, surprise I felt victimised. My Doctor continues and tells me in very serious tone to Watch my diet and for the best, change to no carbs diet. Well, I have no slightest idea of what that really means. I’m not sure if this woman in front of me can actually read my mind, she keeps on talking; “No bread, No pasta, No potatoes, No rice …”
Seriously ? why don’t you tell me what I CAN eat – would not that be easier?
She looked at me death serious. All of a sudden I felt so alone. I felt cheated. I felt life is not fair. I’m 28 with very high tendency of Diabetics. Trust me, I was fine until now !!
I see this Image from my childhood so clear, my uncle with his little briefcase full of insulin pens or injections. Well, that time it was a “briefcase” that made him very special and important in my eyes, since I was not allowed to play with it.
I just couldn’t imagine myself watching what I eat daily. Absolutely Not! Life without French bakery , Italian pasta & pizza, Thai dishes with rice, Indian nan bread, Vietnamese rice paper, Chinese noodles, Japanese sushi! How can I do it? I love to eat!
But I realized it was about the time to try and get more serious about my health also. It hit me! So I got home and searched the Internet to learn everything that I need to know about diabetics. And the best find, out of all the informations I learnt about diabetics is –
I am not alone.
- Don’t make friends they will take off in next 1 hour or so And leave you behind
- You will see lots of suspicious behaviour and many terrorist looking-like people
- You will learn there is such a thing as power pillars where you can charge your phone
- You will realise there is not many shops on checking side of the airport
- You will learn Chinese people never travel light
- The best place to just wait around would be a Starbucks if you could get a seat
- You will reply to all your emails and Facebook messages
- You will go thru all your applications looking for any kind of entertainment
- You will call everyone you can think of just to share your drama and chit chat
- You will write a list of “Things to Do when Stuck in an Airport”